Wednesday, October 28, 2009

raising 2 puppies at once time



Basically, I'm starting to understand why everyone says not to get to puppies at one time...these pups are handfuls. I love them dearly, and no matter what people say online, I would never "get rid" of one. But I wish I had some good, solid advice about how to raise two puppies and still get that special owner/dog bond rather then having two puppies who are just bonded to each other.

Everywhere I read, it says that letting them stay together too much will kill the potential bond that I could have had with the dogs. Of course, I want to be their leader. I want them to love me most. But I also want happy healthy dogs. I wish there was some way of knowing, some guarantee that told me the outcome with letting them stay together all the time. Buddies for life. I just started doing EVERYTHING separate with them this week. Separate rooms to sleep in, separate eating, separate walks, separate play, bla bla bla. I am sooo exhausted. I don't have any time.

I hope I didn't do a bad thing by getting two puppies. help. :-(

2 comments:

  1. I would love a hundred puggles! But the reality, I can understand, would be over whelming. I don't have any advice for you other than don't let the puppies walk ahead of you EVER during their walks. If you want, I can make it a question for the puggle posse? Would you like that? There are a lot of great people that read Mr. Puggle's blog.

    I had two brother puppies and raised them. They did everything together. When they were three years old, one was hit by a car and died. We were grateful it was the not the dominant dog. I never thought about one dying. But what would be worse, if the dominant dog died and the other dog was lost without his leader. So I support you in doing separate things with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply. I would be really grateful if you were able to put a question about this. I'd love to hear about someone else's personal experiences raising two dogs/puggles.

    And advice that doesn't include rehoming is what I'm looking for. I'm not trying to raise "exceptional" dogs - I'm trying to raise well-balanced children - no one would rehome a child. :-) Thanks Mr. Puggle!

    ReplyDelete